‘It’s all about the conversation’ was a key message from Connect2010 email marketing conference which I attended in October.
Some key principles for all email marketers;
- Watch and listen before even speaking – You can learn by just listening to web behavior, click-stream activity, social engagement, offline activity. Digital body language is an important source of information
- Find the incentive for taking – What’s in it for the customer? Listen to Dell Outlet on Twitter because I will get a good deal. Communicate with My Starbucks Idea because my ideas of product development will be at least recognised if not necessarily introduced to stores
- Give Options – How often do I want to hear from a brand…and what about? Let customers manage YOUR communication. One Dutch Travel brand actually allows customers to unplug from the conversation for a period. After all, we don’t all buy or plans holidays every week. Result, a 35% reduction in full un-subscribes!
- Never assume or impose anything – Best practice is not universal! Frequency, timing and content is not the same for everyone. Best practice is unique to each individual brand-customer-product combination
- Take turns – Otherwise a dialogue becomes a monologue with you controlling the conversation.